This month, Larry Lacy and I celebrate 17 years in business. This year we will also celebrate 15 years of marriage. I know, we did it backwards – we enjoyed working together so much we decided to get married.
We are reminded frequently how remarkable it is for a couple to work successfully together in business. People often comment that, though they love their husband or wife, they wouldn’t be able to work with them daily – especially when things are rough as they inevitably will be in business.
So, at this milestone, I thought I would share some of the reasons why I think our partnership has been successful.
1. We NEVER blame one another when something goes wrong.
2. We take responsibility when we do something stupid.
3. We give one another room and support to grow.
4. When the going gets tough, we circle the wagons.
5. We practice what we preach. We teach communication and trust-building skills. We would be pretty bad if we couldn’t follow our own advice.
6. We celebrate everyday. We aren’t promised a certain amount of time on this earth. Thus, we believe in celebrating everyday we have together. It reminds us of what an amazing gift we have.
7. Each of us is the other’s best cheerleader.
8. We each are determined to be in a good mood, but recognize it isn’t always possible.
9. We always have one another’s back.
10. We are grateful for each other and for all that we have been blessed with.
I can’t wait to see what kind of adventures the next 17 years bring.